Sunday, January 27, 2008

Tired of work

(Photo taken in Penang)

When I heard that SL resigned her job, which she had been working several years, I was concerned about her and asked:

“…what happened?” “No lah, I need rest.”

“Why do you think that?” “I have been working for 12 years already, so rest loh, haaaaaaa.”

“I don’t believe la…I’m sure you have something.” “No lah, really, there is an inner voice asking for rest.”

I thought there must be something making her feel ‘tired’ … I think she was so brave to make the decision to resign the job without having a new plan, bravo!

I remember when I was staff at my ex-company; I needed to go to work on time but didn’t always get off on time. My work was routine but unexpected problems would come up. I was in the sourcing (purchasing) department and the company targeted products with good quality and the cheapest cost. So, as employees working for the company, we had to try to negotiate every single cent with vendors. Nevertheless, the top management thought you were supposed to put in this effort for the company. The company thought highly of the sales/marketing department. They have good results when the products have good response/sales. But if the products have problems, the top management will point to the sourcing department that made the company lose money. I had worked for 12 years and was never promoted. 1 or 2 years there were no raises, and sometimes the raises were about 5% averages. However, when I faced the difficulties of work and felt tired, I also needed to be strong or optimistic and think I’m not so bad off compared to others. Then I should be grateful and continue working again! At that time, I really wished that I had enough money to live, so that I can retire after 40 something.

Seems like my wish has come true, but not because I have enough money!

No comments:

Google