Friday, January 18, 2008

Money & Happy

I was chatting online with a friend’s friend, who is Chinese married to an American. She asked:

“…plan to have a baby yet?” (A classic question after you get married!)

“Oh…no.”

“Why not?” (A classic doubt!)

“I don’t want a baby.”

“Any reasons? Because I am debating and discussing with my hubby on having or not having a baby.” (A classic thought to have a reference!)

“Hmm...I asked myself: First, will I be able to make my kid happy? Second, why do I need a kid?”

Never a need; kids are darned expensive.” (Sounds likes she didn’t understand what I meant!)

“Money is the last consideration for me.”

Money is one of my considerations.”

“Money = happy. But happiness does not need a lot of money.”

“I don’t need a lot of money; I just need some money…enough money.”

How can you tell how much is enough?” (A classic counseling question to get a specific answer! Ha-ha, my ‘counseling skill’ showed up…)

I could get my dream house and dream car, not too much d~ my dream stuff is not expensive, a house of 3000-4000 sq. ft. and a Lexus. That’s all I want.”

You mean after you get your dream stuff then you would consider having a baby?” (Question to let her clarify what she said!)

“Not sure.... I am not sure what the sequence is.”

“Sounds like you still don't know your answer...” (Do paraphrasing!)

I don’t know --- really.”

Why do you need to wait until you have enough money?” (Try another question to explore it.)

“If don’t have enough money; how to buy diapers and formula? ‘Being nasty’.... simply want to buy stuff for babies....”

I don't understand. You don't have enough money to have a baby?” (Try another question again to explore it.)

“I’m … sorry for the confusion.”

I didn’t continue our chat…because it’s time for me to cook my lunch. After lunch, we made ‘bak hu’ again until evening. When I sat down, the TV show ‘20/20’ came on, and the topic was about Happiness! Do you know which country’s people are happiest? From their report, #1 is Denmark!

No comments:

Google