Friday, February 22, 2008

Hair cut

We went to George Town to visit my god-mother and my family’s old house (my third brother and his family still rent it). When we arrived there, I saw an Indian barber carrying a small case walking to the neighbor’s house. I told Steve before the story of an Indian barber who has been going house to house since the 70s…the men & boys in my family who stay there always get their hair cut by this Indian barber on the porch of the house! I also asked Steve whether he would like to have this experience if we met this Indian barber in Penang. He said he would try. Ah…then we really met him in the George Town area. I wanted Steve to get his hair cut by him. At first, the barber rejected. Because he knew the customer is a westerner, he said a regular barber shop would be better. My brother persuaded him…so he came to cut Steve’s hair after he finished the neighbor’s. He was cutting Steve’s hair and said to my brother in Hokkien, “ang mo eh dao mo bo siang nu lan den lan eh, yi a dao mo ka nue (Westerner’s hair is not like your Chinese hair, his hair is much softer).”

Steve has a new and nice haircut. I also have a new haircut…I went to my familiar hairdressing shop.

No comments:

Google