Sunday, December 20, 2015

Surprise points


It is free to sign up for a store's reward point system.  When you spent $10, you gain 100 points. 100 points = $0.10, and you can redeem whenever you purchase something in the store. I have been a member for a few years. However, I didn't like to go to this store because their checkout is always very slow.
 Last year, I got email notices that I got rewarded $5 in points a few times. Those reward points had to be redeemed within 2 days, otherwise the points disappeared. So, I tried to stay aware of their emails and go to get stuff to redeem the points.

This year, I couldn't believe they gave so much, called "surprise points". In mid-November, I was in Malaysia and missed an email, $20 points had expired when I read it. On the third week of November, they gave $12 points for apparel, I redeemed it as the above receipt shown.    


 The first week of December, they gave $10 points for women's clothing. I redeemed it and got something that cost $12.  I only had to pay $0.82.


On the second week of December, they gave $20 points. I redeemed it and got two pairs of shoes on BOGO, normally selling for $20 each, for a total of $1.06.


On the third week, they gave $7 points for men's sweaters. 
This case was funny. I purchased a sweater for $9.83, and the register staff found I had $7 points but he couldn't get the system to redeem it, so he wrote a $7 store credit for me to sign. After he keyed it in the machine, the receipt showed cash paid $7, two times (I think that was his mistake), and I had change due of $4.17. He saw it was not right, because I didn't pay any money yet, so he wanted me to talk to customer service.
The staff said she would do a refund, then repurchase, so she gave me $9.83. I explained to her: I didn't pay anything yet." She said: "I know, but I need to do the return first, then I will bill you to correct it."
      

 Then she billed me with the deducted $7 in points, so I paid $2.83, which was correct.


However, I still tried to say, "What about this money ($9.83)?"  She said "That's your money."   We both tried to argue with her, and she seemed to understand the problem, but she insisted it was our money because of the return.

No comments:

Google