Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Steve's chocolate-espresso meringue cookies


    I had leftover egg whites from a batch of ice cream a few days ago, so decided to try making meringue cookies for the first time.  


For flavoring, one of my favorite combinations: cocoa & espresso, though I'm having second thoughts, thinking I should have gone with cinnamon instead. Oh well, too late now!  I'll just have to make another batch if these turn out well.
I was lazy & didn't get out my pastry bag & star tip to form proper rosettes. (Yes, I really do have these tools.)

This was the base recipe I used. 

I combined it with this recipe:

The technique is the same in both recipes. I scaled the 2nd recipe for 2 egg whites, so quantities were: 
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tarter
dash of salt 
1 tsp espresso powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp cocoa powder
(I didn't have coffee extract on-hand, so omitted it)


Just another 90 minutes in the oven, then let them dry out in the warm oven overnight...


The finished product!


 The taste is quite good, but the interior texture didn't turn out right.  These developed a crispy outer shell, with a less crispy interior and an air gap between the outer & inner layers.  (Preliminary research says my oven temperature was probably off.)

Blog by Steve


No comments:

Google