Sunday, June 12, 2016

2016 Life Outside festival


We were watching TV news Friday afternoon, and they had a segment about the "Life Outside" festival in nearby Creve Coeur Park. This was the first time we heard about it, so we went to see what they had.  To encourage people to become more active outdoors and inform people about outdoor activities in the region, all the activities at this event were free!

 
Rock climbing, I never tried it before, but sure I want to experience it.


I took the easy level, but didn't think it was that easy.  My hand grip strength and leg support were not enough to make it to the top to ring the bell. I just made it half way. 


Kayaking, I have experienced several times, and we didn't want to stand in the long line without shade.  The temperature was almost 100F.  They also had canoeing and standing paddle boards for people to try.


The Astronomical Society had an eclipse simulation & telescope demos.  They told us part of St Louis will see the full solar eclipse on Aug 21, 2017.  They also told us many of the libraries in St. Louis have telescopes that can be checked out, free of charge, for a week at a time.

We walked by the yoga demos, mountain bike demos, conservation displays, etc.


When we came back to the rock climbing, there were no people in line. So I asked them if I could try the medium level.


I couldn't even climb half way, but it was a good try.


That next attraction was tree climbing. We lined up to wear the saddle, helmet and gloves.


The instructor told us how to climb, it sounds difficult. 
Steve tried it, he didn't get more than about 3 feet high, and gave up.


It really takes a lot of hand strength, and I thought I also couldn't make it.
I asked my instructor, how to get down then. She said they will instruct later. 


However, I wouldn't give up at it, and kept trying.


After I know the skill, it's not as difficult as I thought. 


In fact, it is rope climbing. 


Moving up with a support loop on the foot and pulling up on the rope to stand up, movement is only about 1 foot each time to climb up. 

 

I was up there and looked at Steve down below with the camera.  I pointed him to other places. He got some photos at good angles.


I enjoyed taking it slowly, having a break several times, hanging up there, chatting with my neighbor - a young lady.
 

I made it up about 60 feet, near the branch on which the rope hanging. The instructor said that was as far as I should go, and instructed me to come down. 
 

Back safely on the ground!  Total time, from being hooked onto the rope to feet back on the ground - 1 hour 20 minutes. 
That was good experience and very fun.
We hope they do this event every year.

No comments:

Google