Thursday, December 22, 2011

Abstract expression of love




When I was a little kid, I waited for my brother to get back home from school everyday. I expected him to come back with a snack, taken out from his pocket. Sometimes, there was dried fruit, sometimes it was a cracker, sometimes it was candy…  All those made me happy inside my little heart; I felt so nice from my brother. 
The kid days were short, and I didn’t realize that my sensibility was going into hiding. 
After I became an adult, my brother had a job in another state for a few years. However, he came back home and helped dad’s hawker business in the wet market. Even though we were staying together, we did not talk much. And my brother had a temper, so we were not close at all. 
My brother married, and he took my dad’s job, but the business gradually declined. Nevertheless, my brother often came home with fruits he bought from other hawkers. Sometimes there were papayas, sometimes lychees, sometimes durians…  We were happy to have them, but somehow I didn’t think my brother was nice. 

Later, when I realized love can be expressed through behaviors, I finally figured out my brother likes to buy food for the family; it is the way he shows love. 

Can adults understand this kind of abstract expression of love?
 
小时侯还沒上学的那时期,我每天会有一阵期待三哥放学回来。那是期待他回家后,他从校服的口袋掏出零食给我。有时是半包的蜜饯,有时是一小包脆饼,有时是糖果这都让我小孩心眼中很高兴,觉得哥对我真好。
小孩时期不会太长,那时的感性也不知藏在那了。
长大后,三哥去外地工作几年,不久回来帮父亲的菜市场生意,虽然住在一起,但我们都不擅表达,沉默寡言,而且三哥脾气暴躁,所以我们关系并不亲密。
三哥结婚,父亲去世后,继承父业。可是生意越做收入越不佳,然而三哥收档回家,不时都会买隔壁档的一些水果回家,有时木瓜,有时荔枝,有时榴连虽然我们吃得很高兴,可是不知为什么,我并沒觉得哥对家人真好。

后来,当那时我知道爱可以是由行为表现的,我才明白三哥喜欢买东西给家人吃,那是他的爱的表达。 

抽象的爱,成人看得懂吗?

No comments:

Google