Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Actress


I have been answering "I am a housewife" for 10 years when people ask me what I do.
Can I say I am an actress now? 
Yay... I will play a role in PAPER ANGELS, directed by Christopher LaBanca (May 2018 performance)

I like the post by the director, Christopher, on their Facebook page:

"Leaving behind my writing brush and removing my sword, I came to America.
Who was to know two streams of tears would flow upon arriving here?
If there comes a day when I will have attained my ambition and become successful,
I will certainly behead the barbarians and spare not a single blade of grass."
The above poem is one of the multitude discovered on Angel Island by Alexander Weiss. I came across it in doing my research for our production of Genny Lim's PAPER ANGELS.
You know, as a younger director, the least favorite part of being a director was the research. I simply couldn't wait to get into rehearsal and "do the real work." But as I've gotten older, I still enjoy working with actors, but I LOVE preparing for a show. Even when it's a difficult or heartbreaking subject, even when it makes me shake with anger, I like to dig in with both hands because these are things worth knowing! To say nothing of the fact that walking into rehearsals prepared to work gives you the best chance of success, the truth is that each production is an opportunity to become what I've always admired about the best theatrical artists: their wide range and variety of knowledge that they've garnered over the course of their professional careers.


19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes💪

Christy

Anonymous said...

Go go go !!!

Jasper

Anonymous said...

加油

Mary

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you in the play!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Give me the exact dates as soon as you know them and I'll come over and see it! I'm so happy for you!

Sue

Anonymous said...

Good

TengKeong

Anonymous said...

Wow, you got it, congretulations~

Sophia

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Joan

Anonymous said...

加油喔!enjoy...喔...😘

Siew Chneh

Anonymous said...

Congratulations dear!!

Lynda

Anonymous said...

Be happy n enjoy is the best

Sirima

Anonymous said...

I'm excited for you. Let us know when we can get tickets

Karen

Anonymous said...

i can feel your excitement.

Sin Dee

Anonymous said...

Like I said before a Star is born ( great old movie you might like aswell )

Dave

Anonymous said...

欣赏你一直不停止学习及接受新事物。

Phaik Sze

eHeart said...

Thanks everyone there sent me your like, support and encouragement, really appreciate all of you.

Phaik Sze, 你還記得我們曾在我檳城家拍過戲,你朋友學導演的,她要交的功課,我們義務當演員,我還演讓她用我家拍攝。我幾乎忘了這事,是那天我去應徵演員,過後,才想起我曾有'拍戲'的經驗。你的朋友導演怎樣了?來美國後,其實我個人覺得停滯太久。。啊,這舞台劇是用英語,算是新挑戰。

Sin Dee, 哈哈,老姨演戲。

Dave, I think the movie one is different story. This stage play is the story of the Chinese back in 1915..

Anonymous said...

哈哈, not bad, on stage 老姨 also can become anything... :-)

Boey Kean

Anonymous said...

New challenge, good for you!

Shu-Lin

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Congratulations👏🏻 New adventure ahead!

Swee Hoon

Google